HAITI ADOLESCENT GIRLS NETWORK
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR – Job Description
HAGN is a Haiti-based nonprofit organization created by a collective of Haitian and international organizations committed to protecting and empowering adolescent girls in Haiti. The primary goal of HAGN is to foster the delivery of sustainable programs to support the social, health, and economic development of Haitian adolescent girls through the Network membership.
The Board of Directors of this newly-established legal entity in Haiti is seeking an Executive Director (ED) who will drive and lead this work and also grow our newly-established organization in the next phase of its development. The Executive Director will also be expected to contribute to and prioritize efforts to generate support to achieve the objectives as set out in the strategy. The Executive Director will report to the Board of Directors and will provide strategic direction and have overall operational responsibility for HAGN’s staff, programs, expansion, and execution of its mission. The ED will also play the role of program director.
Essential duties and responsibilities
Governance, Board Administration & Support
- Updates and implements HAGN’s strategic plan
- Designs, reviews and maintains operational policies, practices and guidelines with the Board’s input and approval
- Keeps Board members regularly informed of important developments and facilitates communication between Board and staff
- Supports continuity and development of leadership capacity within the Board and its committees
- Ensures that HAGN is in compliance with local laws, rules and regulations and that an annual independent financial audit is done
- Ensures that financial records and reports are maintained according to generally accepted accounting standards
- Ensures preparation of periodic financial reports and the annual budget and presents periodic reports to the Board for review
- Reports regularly on HAGN’s annual budget and ensures that accounting practices are adequate and cost effective
- Oversees HAGN’s cash requirements and banking administration. Signs checks; oversees reconciliation of the monthly bank statements.
- Builds a strong and effective program of work which ties in with our long term objectives;
- Enhances HAGN’s capacity to deliver on program development by ensuring each program or project at outset has well defined outcomes and plans for execution, including scope, resource allocation and deadlines.
- Supervises the capacity-building of institutions working in Haiti to deliver high quality programming to adolescent girls
- Oversees monitoring and evaluation of programs and grants; makes periodic reports to the Board on funding effectiveness
- Contributes to the sustainability of HAGN through strategic partnerships and fundraising;
- Develops new programming ideas and initiatives that assist HAGN in fulfilling its mission.
- Fosters a collective identity among member organizations and local ownership in Haiti
- Ensures ongoing virtual and in-person communications that document and share activities and outcomes at all levels;
- Supervises program staff, administers the grant making program, including grant proposal review and site visits.
Administrative and Human Resources Management
- Identifies key roles that need to be hired as part of growth strategy and lead recruitment effort.
- Manages systems that allow for efficiency and smooth functioning of HAGN’s operations, ensuring compliance with established policies and procedures
- Delegates appropriate responsibilities and duties to staff, interns/volunteers, and consultants
- Develops and maintains system to train, mentor, supervise, evaluate and compensate all staff positions, interns/ volunteers and consultants.
- Creates an atmosphere conducive to growth, learning and improved performance
- Responsible for ensuring that the fund has adequate office space and equipment.
- Ensures development of personnel policies and procedures in consultation with the Board
- Reviews, negotiates and works with administrators and agents to execute and comply with employee benefit plans (insurance, etc.)
- Conducts annual performance reviews and presents compensation recommendations to the Board.
Resource Mobilization, Outreach & Communications
- Secures HAGN’s annual budget through institutional and individual fundraising including proposal writing, direct donor meetings, and online fundraising campaigns
- Expands HAGN’s profile and networks in the field of children’s rights and development in order to establish HAGN as an important player on adolescent girl-centered programming in Haiti
- Leverages existing network of contacts and develop new ones in order to source potential new donors.
- Represents HAGN in local, regional and international venues; at philanthropic meetings, community events, grantee events, and other engagements.
- Develops and implements/supervises HAGN’s communication strategy with Board support.
- Supervises the preparation of the annual report, content on the website, and other communications and outreach activities.
- University degree or related experience in human rights, international development, community development, gender studies, non-profit administration, or a related social science field.
- A minimum of 5 years’ work experience with a senior level in non-profit organizations; women and girls empowerment/leadership programming.
- Knowledge and experience of working with government and international institutions
- Experience in grant making and financial management
- Significant experience managing budgets and coordinating financial procedures and analysis.
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to performance manage staff, set and achieve strategic objectives.
- Fully trilingual in English, French, and Haitian Creole
- Demonstrated capacity for strategic thinking and problem solving; flexible and open to new ideas and ways of working.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Willingness to travel at least 25% of the time within and outside Haiti
Please submit by 1st of March.